Depression is much more than just sadness. It can manifest itself in individuals in a variety of ways, including a feeling of continual sadness, impending doom, apathy, anger, aggressiveness, and restlessness. In addition to affecting you emotionally, depression can have a negative impact on your personal life, relationships, and career.
Are You Depressed?
Common signs and symptoms associated with depression include the following.
- You sleep too little or too much and are constantly fatigued.
- You cannot concentrate.
- You no longer enjoy pleasurable pastimes, hobbies, or activities.
- Things you once found easy are now difficult.
- You can’t control negative thoughts or emotions.
- You eat too little or too much.
- You are irritable, quick to anger, or aggressive.
- You are engaging in reckless behavior.
- You are using alcohol or drugs to cope with your emotions.
- You feel hopeless, worthless, trapped, or guilty.
- You suffer from aches and pains that are unexplainable.
- You are experiencing suicidal thoughts. Always take these thoughts seriously and please seek immediate assistance by calling 911, going to the nearest Emergency Room, or calling Grassroots’s 24 Hours Crisis Hotline at 410-531-6677.
If you recognize several of the above symptoms in your life, then individual counseling should be your next step.
Depression is Real, and Therapy Can Help You Cope
Don’t let people tell you that depression is something that will pass, or that you are better off than others and shouldn’t be depressed. Depression is real, and therapy can help you cope with and manage your depression. We incorporate a variety of concrete approaches to therapy to help you get the best results. Together, we can work toward bringing you to a healthier and happier state of emotional well-being and building the skills you need to manage your emotions in the future, no matter what challenges you face. You deserve to feel better.
Email or call us today at 410-949-1238 and tell us about the challenges you are dealing with so that, together, we can find healthy resolutions. One of our goals is to help individuals work through their challenges and build a strong foundation for their future. Let us help you, too.